If you can’t find talent, you’re not alone. There are currently 1.7 job openings for every person who remains unemployed right now. The truth is there just aren’t enough people to go around. While you may be focused on quantity right now to fill jobs in your company, the truth is that the quality of your job applicants will always matter more than the number of bodies you throw at your workload.
We have some tips that will help you find a better caliber of job applicant in Thousand Oaks. Follow these steps for a more successful hiring process.
Your screening process doesn’t need to be very long but it does need to be fairly thorough. It should include phone, Zoom, and potentially face-to-face interviews. The questions you ask should be well thought out and carefully look for characteristics the candidate will use on the job. The data you collect should be collated in an applicant tracking system (ATS), analyzed, and then the decision can be made.
A word about this, however. Today, candidates have the upper hand over employers. They know that the job market is saturated with work and not enough skilled laborers to go around. This fact argues for an interview and application process that supports the candidate’s experience. Making your interviewers aware of the fact that job applicants are also interviewing you will help smooth rough edges on your candidate processes.
You should always call references during your hiring process. Ask questions such as:
- Tell me how the candidate responded to your feedback?
- What happened when the candidate decided to leave the organization?
- Would you hire the candidate again?
Also, consider searching the candidate’s social media to see what they’re posting these days. You’re looking for any red flags that would show the candidate is exhibiting negative characteristics that could make them a poor hire.
Also, consider conducting a short skills assessment. This kind of test can confirm that the candidate has the skills you want before they go on the job. You can even set up a temp-to-hire arrangement with a staffing company like Pride Staff. This kind of “try-it-before-you-buy-it” helps alleviate some of the risks associated with hiring a new team member. Note that candidates are also checking you out during this process, so the benefits it temp-to-perm go both ways.
Widen Your Labor Pool
I your goal is to widen your labor pool, then you must make an effort to attract more candidates during the hiring process. You can do this by:
- Writing a better job description. Focus on what’s in it for the candidate. Push the perks and company culture to attract more people to your ad.
- Use social media to promote the job opening. Video is a great tool to use on these platforms. Having an employee talk about why working for your company is great is the right kind of video to post.
- Ask for referrals. In a candidate-driven market, who you know matters. Creating a robust referral program for your employees means that you’ll get more qualified candidates to apply.
Work with a Pride Staff Recruiter
No one knows the Thousand Oaks labor market like Pride Staff. We bring a ready-made network of talent, an established and successful hiring process, and the expertise to help you meet your hiring goals. Call on us to find out more.